Thursday, July 23, 2009

EXPANDING THE FAMILY

Now that the search for a home has almost come to an end, Mohan & I have decided that it is time for a new addition to the family. Yes! It is the perfect time to get us another doggie!
I should be starting on courses mid-September and Bheemar will be left all alone in the house for hours on weekdays. He's the sort to require company and will wither if we leave him alone for so long. Although we have been training him to stay alone at home for a few hours each day & his separation anxiety has gotten better over time, we believe he doesn't deserve to be left alone. Hence, we have agreed that a new doggie to keep him company and for us to love is exactly what we need at this stage of our lives.


Monika's Doggie Rescue was our first choice when it came to adopting a dog. I've read about this organisation and am honestly impressed with their work. They give neglected, abused and abandoned dogs waiting to be put down in Sydney pounds a second chance. They rescue these dogs from death row and try to find them a loving, forever home.

We contacted them and filled in their adoption form - prety long & detailed, I must say. Based on our needs and concerns, Monika will be short listing a few dogs for us to meet soon.

We desperately want Bheemar and the dog we adopt to get along. Bheemar loves dogs and can be a little boisterous when playing with them. Most dogs, especially the smaller sized ones, don't like such play. He has tamed down a little recently but still needs a lot more work.

Also being the kiasu parents that we are, we want a dog that would not try to dominate Bheemar. It probably sounds silly but he has been the baby in the house and it'll break our hearts to see anyone or any dog try to bully or dominate him. Knowing Bheemar, despite his boisterous play, he'll never bully another dog. All he'd want to do is to lick non-stop or play catch, not to dominate.

Lastly, the dog must be small sized and have no barking problem as we are moving to a townhouse.

We'll be going down to Doggie Rescue soon to meet the short-listed few dogs and adopt one of them. Of course Mohan and I have no say in this matter. It is entirely up to Bheemar to choose his best buddy.

Honestly, I'm nervous. Training a dog can be so much work, especially one that is older. Life will change...but I choose to believe that it'll be for the better :)