Mohan managed to take time-off and we drove to Doggie Rescue with Bheemar. We reached the shelter by half past 4 in the afternoon and had to wait a short while before Balaraam was brought out.
While waiting we couldn't help but notice some of the other dogs in the shelter. Although they were in a shelter, I couldn't help but notice how lucky they were. They had ample space to run around, toys to play with and kennels to sleep in. To think these dogs may have been put down if not for this shelter...
townhouse, I would have probably grabbed him too!!!
It must take so much effort, time and absolute dedication from volunteers and workers to keep the place the way it is. Can you imagine the loads of washing that piles up every morning, especially during the cold season? The dogs need to be walked, food needs to be prepared, kennels need to be cleaned, dogs need to be transported for medical treatment, food supplies need to be collected....oh goodness, I'm feeling exhausted just thinking about some of the work that needs to be done there.
I applaud the effort and respect the dedication of all those helping to keep this shelter running. This shelter runs entirely on funds from well-wishers and isn't government funded. I wish I'll be able to do my part for this shelter some day in the near future...... Actually...no.... I wish that the Animals (Regulation of Sale) Bill gets passed, people stop buying/abandoning dog/cats and eventually there comes a day when Monika's Doggie Rescue will have no more doggies to rescue. Now, that'll be perfect! Yes, that's what I wish for.
Coming back to Balaraam, Monika brought him out and we settled some last minute stuff pertaining to the adoption. We also got the boys sweaters for our early morning walks. The colours were a little terrible but the proceeds from the sale goes to the shelter. Plus they were far more affordable than those found in pet shops. In all, still a good buy :)
We bid farewell to Monika and left the shelter. Clad in his new sweater, Balaraam took his first steps towards his forever home...with us & Bheemar close by his side :)
The best part was watching Balaraam take his first sniff of his new home. All my anxiety about him missing the shelter vanished as he very excitedly checked out the whole house. It truly looked like he knew the difference between a shelter and a home. He looked happy with this home. Most importantly, he really seemed pleased with his new family.
I am so thankful!!!