It's getting cold here. The weather I've been dreading has finally arrived - my 1st Autumn.
Well, the afternoons are still quite comfy....thank god!!! With temperature at 16 deg C and wind at 34km/h, I am able to enjoy the warmth of the sun. It's great to get wrapped up in my sweater and take a good long walk with Bheemar right smack at the hottest time of the day - 12p.m.
However the nites aren't exactly as kind. They are getting increasingly challenging. Wearing thick jackets are no longer helping and we got out our portable heater two nights ago. We've also stuffed 2 comforters in a single duvet. Nonetheless, I find the wee hours a little too chilly for my liking.
It was the same this morning when I woke up at about 5 to turn up the heater... and that was when I found Bheemar sleeping, shivering in the cold. He was all cuddled up between the two of us on top of the duvet and yet, he was shivering. I had to put him under the duvet and hug him for quite a while before he stopped shivering.
So everyone, contrary to what we have been told about dogs’ ability to withstand very cold weather, they do feel cold even at 18 deg C despite their thick fur.
This revelation got me thinking about the people who leave their dogs in the backyard all the time. The dogs are left there even during rainy seasons or winter, often without any warm bedding or kennel.
When you ask these people if it wouldn't be too cold for the dogs, they'll tell you stuff like, "Oh that's what we've always done," or "Everyone does that." The one I heard most recently was "Nature knows! Nature has provided them with the ability to withstand such cold weather."
RIGHT!
Sometimes, I just can’t help but get annoyed by these “Nature knows” arguments. I believe that they are simply people’s way of shedding responsibility for their dogs’ wellbeing and avoiding any guilt for doing so. Cold!